Thursday, May 04, 2023

Bar Mleczny

So, today my sister and I (it was our monthly dinner, my turn to pick) went to Bar Mleczny, the pop-up at the Polish American Cultural Center.  I had wanted to go the minute I saw it online, and my sister had no objections -- indeed, she noted that it was not particularly daring, in terms of the fare I usually select.  I assured her that next time we would have monkey brains or the pig with the apple in the mouth next time.

Anyways, the pop-up was good.  I had the bigos (Polish hunters' stew) and my sister had the pork chop; as she admitted, it was quite a good-sized pork chop, and the pickled cucumbers that came with it were quite good as well.  My stew was decent; potato pancakes beneath and I appreciated the earthy flavor of the mushrooms.  Desserts were quite solid as well; I had the blueberry crepes (I told the server we pronounce them "craps" in our family and he was amused) and my sister selected a cherry kiesel, which was... sort of a richer, thicker jello, but something was as tart as it was sweet; we both agreed it was good, and different.

I was a bit surprised by the fact that they had it in the basement, rather than upstairs, which seats more people and is a bit nicer/lighter; the basement there has a more rathskeller feel, only seats about 30, and it's a bit darker... to be sure, the kitchen is in the basement, and maybe they didn't want to truck food up the steps (I have done it many a time when helping out there!) and keeping the crowd down doesn't overload the kitchen.  But in terms of revenue, I think you have it upstairs...

Anyways, it was nice to get together with the sister and to talk (we did this last week, but always have much to discuss), and I certainly didn't mind supporting the PACC and the people Chrostowski are trying to help.  As we agreed, we would rather dine in the Village than Shaker Square, being closer, and, possibly safer.  Or, at least, the devil we knew than the devil we did not... 

Funny thing... busy day for me today, lots of stuff handled or set up for tomorrow, which was largely good, so this was sort of the highlight.  I mean, I hit the gym this morning to lift (I tried to reverse my workout, and lifted last, which didn't go over as well) and then tonight I had some stuff to do; so much so that I have yet to finish the royal household book, but that will be tomorrow, just in time for the coronation, a fact which I find to be splendidly appropriate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home