Tuesday, May 23, 2023

Fatigue of Every Sort

 I guess I have not had as much rest as I thought, as I cracked and took a power nap this afternoon (yes, I worked a bit late to make up the time).  I was both exhausted and not feeling well; the sort of thing that a cup of coffee, or two or three, just cannot cure.  I have felt better (not good) since then, to be sure, and the general drowsiness has disappeared.  The gym was a bit rough but not awful, and I even did a bit of extra cardio.  I am trying to get to bed soonish and might consider a gym double tomorrow, because, well, I need it, and I do want to read.  Funny; tonight I watched both J!s (the Final in the regular was much harder than the Masters games) and then fired the laptop up to do stuff, and... with one exception, I have stayed off the phone.  Impressive.  I have also decided I need to brush up on my mythology and read some Shakespeare; one to refresh, the other... a lacunae that should be filled.

My sister and I were discussing the Masters Tournament -- her correct responses are way down, and mine... well, I am getting between 35 and 40 right (it is category-dependent), compared to the 40-45 in the regular.  One thing though is the pace of play; they are just zipping through and there are times when you are trying to fumble through the mind to get the answer; these guys know it right away and the electrons don't fire (for me) in time.  Most depressing.

Last night I read Goodnight Moon; I had not read it (I think, my childhood is quite the blur) and... I don't know, but while it was cute, I am not sure as to what made it so...special.  I began to think that it is sad I don't have children, but then I also realized that I am a selfish and insensitive jerk, so this is probably for the best.  It would certainly focus my life in many, many ways.  But there are many joyous and nice things about children, toys and play and cuteness; I tend to reject them, but having children would have forced me to soften and enjoy these things (I hope; again, I am an insensitive jerk, so probably not).

The Restaurant QR-Code Menu Is Being Shown the Door - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

Thank God!  I know I am something of a Luddite, to put it mildly, but I have always felt these things were a royal pain.  And, at certain restaurants...I think I encountered one at Fahrenheit, and it was... well, not very high end, if you get my drift.

What's Driving Inflation: Labor or Capital? - The Big Picture (ritholtz.com)

This is quite correct, but the issue is now what to do about it?  In some ways the Liz Warrens of the world are correct, but in that case... shouldn't the Biden Administration done something?  Shouldn't any GOPers be campaigning on this?  Not that anyone will outdo Trump on this, but the economy is something the GOP can and should run on.  Americans generally do not like big corporations, so this should be an easy win (harder to solve; taxes might not claw back the money, and there is little to stop them from charging us for the privilege, but something could be tried).

WFH vs RTO - The Big Picture (ritholtz.com)

I think this is largely correct in both cases; workers need to be back at the office, but not at the level bosses want.  And, people like working from home -- more time, more money, more flexibility, more family time, whatever.  Work has to reflect this new reality.  I think the battleship is turning here, but it does not do so on a moments notice...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home