Monday, May 22, 2023

Linx

 Funny; I was tired all day today (didn't sleep well last night, or long), caught a second wind in the PM, and now... well, I am not exactly tired.  Nor have I been pounding the caffeine, another oddity.  One thing I was today was productive; did a lot of little things at work (that needed to be done, or were at least useful to other coworkers), handled some business for the food pantry and the East District, answered some emails, that sort of thing.  Also took the truck in for repairs -- the minor leak in the transmission has been fixed.  Not a yuugge crisis, of course, but it was more than high time to have it handled before it gets worse.  With car prices and interest rates, it is my best interest to keep the Behemoth running as long as I can.  Heck, even put in about 60 wages on Grann's The Wager, which is quite a solid read.

The Ratcatcher - The American Conservative

Interesting look at this from the side of Ron DeSantis and his allies...

How Democrats Learned to Love the God Gap (msn.com)

Also interesting.  I mean, I have a number of issues with the increasing secularization of the US, but this shows that it is not an even course.  

A techy, hip and bold new idea is revolutionizing horse racing - The Athletic

I love this; for one, I enjoy horse racing, and as the article states, it just might be a way to get people involved in the sport.  And, using new methods -- crowdfunding, offering investment-style rewards and risks -- is one to do it.   People already complain about such things as bad races and betting oddities (I don't necessarily think them signs of malfeasance, just bettors looking for an arbitrage opportunity, no matter the final result), but this is one way around that.  

Immigrants’ Share of the U.S. Labor Force Grows to a New High - WSJ

This could be me, but one issue with this is that there are plenty of Americans who could be -- and should be -- doing these jobs.  Much as my point in a previous post that more Americans should be working to be on Medicaid, the fact of the matter is that they do not do these jobs because there is no mechanism to force them to do so.  I don't have a problem with immigrants taking these roles over, but I do think that not pushing Americans into these jobs adds to the resentment and hatred that spurs Trumpism, and it is more damning when there is a simple fix at hand.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home