Thursday, May 25, 2023

Clear cut

 Well, the lawn mower was finally fixed today -- the battery was dead.  I had to buy one on my own, and bring it back for the tech to install, which he did (I am truly inept at these sorts of things).  So that was done, and my lunch break was spent cutting said grass; quite long, but good now, though I should probably weed-whack in the areas where the mower does not go.  Alas.  I do hope this is the last expenditure for a while, and then I can concentrate (again) on reducing said debts.  One downside:  a piece of grass, or something, has lodged in my eye.  It's more annoying than painful, and it is not affecting my vision, but I am not sure what exactly to do, and with Memorial Day weekend upon us, not is not the time for medical issues.  Oi.

Today, thanx to the soon-to-be-ending wonders of Netflix, I watched "Iron Man."  It was....fine?  I think I will never understand the appeal of superhero movies and such.  I mean, I liked it well enough, and the story was fine, but I think I prefer some more realism.  Humorously, every time I saw Gwyneth Paltrow, I thought of her Goop! line or whatever.  More seriously, though, I thought of Jacqueline Bisset's character in "Bullitt;" included just to have a pretty face but not really given a role in the film.  Not quite the same, but...  just my impression.  Anyways, now up to 817 on the NFR.  

Also, the end of the Masters! tournament...let's just say that I was happy -- and miffed -- that I posted a 49 on regular J! today, which is above average, and I am sure I missed a question or two by not paying attention, and thus... a rare 50 was lost (the categories were favorable).

Inside a ‘toxic atmosphere’ at Cincinnati: What USC didn’t know before hiring AD Mike Bohn (msn.com)

This could be me, but I find it hard to believe that NO ONE knew about this, or at least was willing to talk about it.  Unless, of course, they wanted him gone at UC and figured that this was the best way.  In this day and age...well, there are fewer and fewer secrets, especially of this sort of behavior.  One would think...

Representatives from diocese attend School Choice Rally in Columbus (dioceseofcleveland.org)

This does seem a little rich, even for me; given the amount of money sent by the state to support Catholic education...well, whores do not advocate for legal prostitution, do they?  Yet.

Target CEO cites theft as a significant drag on corporate profits, joining other national retailers - cleveland.com

This could be me, but shouldn't someone be doing something about the shoplifting?  Stores could hire more guards, or off-duty cops; I think people would NOT object to this sort of thing.  Some GOP governor with cojones could offer to pardon citizens who "stand their ground" when confronting shoplifters, and I think in many states it would be an incredibly popular (and effective) strategy.  Being a law and order person, I just don't think it is too much to ask for people to follow a few rules...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home