Thursday, September 07, 2023

Retrograde

 Let's chronicle the day in reverse, shall we?  Studied for a couple of interviews tomorrow and applied/looked for jobs.  I don't want to mention the application count, but let's just say that... well, if we don't apply, we don't get chances for interviews, right?  It is just... depressing, to keep applying and looking and...silence.  Oi.  I also finished up some work for the part-time job -- trying to finish, though I have yet to hear any insights either way, which is fine, I guess... just a bit odd and I think we all know how I hate uncertainty.

Had dinner with my sister today -- the delayed August installment of our monthly series (funny; I was talking to a friend today, and he couldn't believe we do this, in addition to our daily series of texts and emails.  I guess I feel badly for people who are not close with their siblings).  It was my turn to pick and I selected Tita Flora's in Independence.  It was quite good!  I had chicken adobo, not very spicy, decent portion; the only downside were the small bones; my sister suggested a number of ways to avoid them, which I pointedly ignored.  Anyways, I would go back and try something else.  And, in the words of my sainted Mother... who eats that shit?

Food pantry duty this morning was...interesting.  I hit Dave's on the way in, got the bakery order, was told that was it, and... it wasn't; they had stuff in front, too.  Oops -- the guys on the way back from Kinsman got it though.   Then the truck ran late and our ops manager was under the impression I had NOT placed the order, which... amused me, immensely.  Of course, I logged on to the computer and found the invoice... no, I had ordered, and the truck was just late.  Oi.  Most of the produce order was there, though they gave us many more onions and nectarines than I ordered and welched on the other stuff.  Alas.  We also had a food rescue from some bakery on the East Side; an impressive amount of bread, but has to be wrapped individually.  It will be one-off (fine) and the first time we received something from the food rescue program; we will supposedly getting a regular supply from a grocery store on Saturday.  I am NOT on duty this month, so ideally I will NOT be directly aware of this.  

More seriously, there were reports of mouse droppings in the main room.  This annoyed me but sure enough, I was directed to some possible sources of the problem -- another pipe vent and two floor vents, one of which was completely unattached from the mountings.  (I am betting that is the main rodent doorway.)  Anyways, tomorrow's assignment is to fill the pipe hole and the cement the vents to the floor (they were covered up by our racks for food pack storage).  I am not exactly sure that this will work, but I am in this far, and -- at least! -- there seems to be no sign of critters in the garage, and I wonder what caused that...

Despite harm to public schools, a lot of Ohioans are applying for private school vouchers: Today in Ohio - cleveland.com
This amused me, mainly because... the interest in school vouchers comes from the surge in interest in people looking to send their kids to something other than a public school.  They seem to completely miss this in their talk; I mean, to completely ignore what the effects of public school teachers and their school shutdowns on student performance is borderline criminal, but far too often it is what passes for news at the PD nowadays...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home