Monday, August 28, 2023

Milestone!

 I could have posted last night, but I was tired and just crashed... and that was that.  I probably should have done it sooner, as while I got some sleep last night, it was not nearly enough, and here I am now... not exactly tired, with plenty to do.  I attended a Zoom meeting about how to better advocate for SNAP benefits (put on by the Greater Cleveland Food Bank) and there were times it made my blood boil.  To their credit, I did ask my usual question -- isn't more money and people NOT working the worst thing to do given the inflationary pressures -- and she did answer it, sort of; she did pivot that we need such things as better childcare and support for those on the fringes... which is true but does not absolve us from the responsibility of cutting inflation.  I firmly believe we need work requirements, reductions in benefits, strict nutritional restrictions on food, and in general tough love; I noted that if some of these people need to be told they have to show up on time, work hard, etc.; we need NOT to reward people for not knowing the stuff they should have learned in kindergarten.  Oi!

The Village Dog in Slavic Village to Open in September | Food News | Cleveland | Cleveland Scene (clevescene.com)
Interesting, and I hope it works.  I remember when this place was a Rally's, and it was so disgusting that they lost the franchise, which is pretty impressive considering the cleanliness of the Rally's I have visited... 

Pope Francis blasts ‘backwardness’ of some conservatives in U.S. Catholic church - cleveland.com
I made a comment on Facebook that the Pope is bad at his job, and... first one read this headline, and then one reads about how he tells the world that the Russians need to remember the glories of their empire... which is how we got to our current conundrum.  I mean, angering conservative Catholics in the US is akin to pissing off your banker, and given the growth of the global Church is fueled by the more traditional African/Asian believer... very odd.

Reached 50 books read today -- the selection was How Did You Get This Number which looked at the polling industry in the US.  It was quite good -- a smidge of history, some math, but mainly a look at how polling has evolved from 2000 to 2016 (the book is a few years old).  Interesting, and a reminder that probability is not the same as certainty, and that polling is something that always gets more accurate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home