Saturday, November 18, 2023

The zoo

OC Duty today and as expected it was a zoo.  I do not think we expected the full level of zoo-ness, as it was a record crowd today --197.  Fully a third (if not more) were out of area, having been sent here from word of mouth or Lord knows where.  I put out cones at noon (when we officially close) to block the parking lot, and of course a few people drove over them; let's just say the "we didn't know you were closed" excuse was not held in great regard (I want to buy spike strips to prevent this).  I had ordered produce for 160, and even with the stretching...well, we ran completely out; to be sure, this is good, but everything is bare.  The carnage in the main food room was impressive, as well.  We got very little meat -- people were getting one sausage til that ran out -- and all of the meat freezers went.  I was too busy to monitor other things but the clothing went well; I saw at least three empty racks depart, which was good.  We ARE closed the rest of the month but December may be equally zooish; we also may need to consider the status of people who come out of the area MORE than once.  Couple of people -- NOT me -- suggested a one time only regular load, then just produce, and then a referral elsewhere.  I am neither for nor opposed to it; hate to see people leave empty handed, but...

Also, I told many people that I had 15 pounds of potatoes and would be eating them instead of meat going forward; that, as you can imagine, went over well, but it should have, especially considering how many of our clients could use a crash reduction in calories, if you get my drift.

At least it was cold but not terribly so; the weather was good and the people were mostly nice; the main thing, of course, is that when we have people out the wazoo, we can't do special things, we cannot fart around, and we have little time for crap; if you don't have the right ID or don't follow the rules -- you get less.  I would think this is common sense, but...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home