Tuesday, January 16, 2024

Fatigue

 So, the Iowa caucuses were last night, and...Trump won, as expected.  Everyone is pointing out that he won, and won big, but... isn't there a tale to be told that he won with but 51% of the vote?  Or, 49% of the GOP voters wanted someone else.  This sort of merits the ideas of Haley and DeSantis to stick around in the race, save for the fact that both of them cannot remain in the race.  The opposition, in so far as it exists, is thus fragmented... and smoothing the path for the Trump candidacy.  Of course, half of the GOP electorate is pleased with Trump -- enthusiastically so, I would say.  I admit I am a little fascinated by this, but... vox populi, vox Dei, right?

Why DeSantis and Haley Need to Stay in the Race – PJ Media
Interesting, but I am not sure that these are the reasons to stick around.  I am skeptical that the judicial reasons to keep Trump off the ballot will hold, though it would be funny as hell if the Trump wing of the Court decided he had committed insurrection and was ineligible.  Quite frankly, a close textual interpretation of the Constitution would imply it, though, of course, Trump has the ultimate defense, in that he could believe anything and everything at any particular time.  Can you imagine the chaos, though, if the Supremes ruled that Trump could not run for POTUS again?

A Different Framing of Trump Supporters - by Jeffrey Carter (substack.com)
Interesting, and I think this is largely correct; certainly it explains the loyalty of his voters and why they are all or nothing with him!

I think I am sick of being sick.  I mean, I used to think this cold was getting better, but now I am not so sure; certainly my nose has been a bit runnier and I have been sneezing a bit more.  Despite the vitamin C, the citrus fruits, and the additional rest, it does not seem to have helped.  Yes, I am still sleep deprived, and no, the weather is not helping, but...this is no fun.  Sigh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home