Sunday, January 14, 2024

Progress

 I have to admit, it was interesting getting dressed for Mass this morning; long sleeve T-shirt, long-sleeve button down, hoodie, and my friend's down jacket that he bought me because he feels I am underdressed in the winter (and it is quite warm).  Gloves, too; it was certainly the site for the few (ok, half) of the people who went in today... as I often tell people, what do you do when it is actually cold, and now it was, so... I dressed up.  The gym was also a bit less crowded than usual, though I couldn't tell if it was the cold or Browns fans who took the bridge.  Then it was a brief trip to Meijer for fruit and then home, where I did more of the same; chilled, caught up on emails and stuff, and did some media consumption.

First was a documentary called "Beyond the Curve," which was about Flat Earthers.  For all of the gruff I get for my support of creation science, these people... well, it was certainly interesting.  They did make a few points -- don't mock them, go after them with science, and recognize that people -- once they get into conspiracy theories -- fall for a lot more.  I also watched a movie from 1940:  "Dive Bomber," starring Errol Flynn and Fred MacMurray as flight surgeon and pilot who -- after initial struggles -- work together to solve the problem of high-altitude sickness among dive bomber pilots.  As a movie it was... what you expected from 1940, but -- as I learned from one of those war podcasts to which I listen -- if you wanted to see how the pre-WWII Navy operated (planes landing on carriers, fitness tests, experiments, you name it), this was as good as place as any to look.  That was pretty cool, at least.  

One thing I forgot to mention yesterday:  Duke -- despite being down 11 with 8 minutes to play -- came back and won.  I was actually watching the game and it was quite impressive to see the boys -- despite playing like crap for 25 minutes -- put together ten minutes of gloriously competent hoops and beat a team they should have more easily handled.  To be sure, half of the time I was thinking if this is what it takes to beat Georgia Tech in Cameron... but, as I like to say, everyone plays up against Duke.

I am slightly more than halfway through my current read:  The Science of Murder, which looks at the forensics behind Christie's stories.  As it is written by a forensic pathologist, it is quite good, and, more to the point... it appears that Christie was well up on the latest science and technology, so that the stories -- for the times in which they were written -- are quite accurate.  If anything, the book has reminded me that I always wanted to read the Christie Canon, and aside from the usual excuses... there is no reason not to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home