Sunday, July 28, 2024

Scrubbing away

 Busy day!  Church, gym, a couple of errands, and I took Communion to my Polish friend in Edgewater. Hard to believe she is 90; she walks 10 times better than my mother, has a good memory, and with the hearing aid gets most of what I say -- I am a mushmouth, as we know.  Hard to believe (as well) that I have made a friend; I mean, when I started this, I had no idea of what would become, and aside from my refusing to let her kneel to receive the Sacrament (she mostly can but I do NOT want a coronary).  I don't want to say that I am impressed for doing what I should be doing, but...

Then it was home to clean!  The living room is done; I moved the tables and such to a spare room to free up space for a wheelchair.  Vacuumed and dusted.  Sad moment when I realized that the VCR/DVD player doesn't really work anymore so I can remove the speakers and cords.  It looks neater but... well, it was sad.  I bought the thing when I was on J!, and while it has not worked in a year (I should pitch the box too) it was still sad; it reminded me of my youth, the dreams I had, how things were going then... well, we all have unrealized dreams and hopes.  It's life.  Anyways, after a dinner break (wanted to saute some squash) it was on to the kitchen.  I did most of that; need to sweep and swiffer the floor and handle the morass of the kitchen table but all of the counters were wiped down and scrubbed, messes moved and handled, and half of the stuff was put away.  Tomorrow is another day. of course, but... we all know how I feel about that.

I did stop at 8 to watch "The Guns of August."  I saw it while surfing last night; as we all know, it is one of my favorite books, and I was curious to see what they documentary based on the book is like.  It was interesting; it followed the book for the first 2/3 of it but went on after the First Battle of the Marne to cover the whole war.  The film borrowed liberally from silent film footage, so you got to see all sorts of interesting things, which might have been the best part...

Long after Nassar scandal, gymnastics coaches accused of abuse remain - The Washington Post
This could be me, but aren't the parents responsible for some of this?  Good Lord, some of these people...

We bought what’s needed to make millions of fentanyl pills–for $3,600 (reuters.com)
Interesting but I think the Chinese are somewhat correct in that WE need to reduce this scourge as well.  On the one hand, though, this is a problem that will eventually solve itself, harsh as that may be...

Jerry Falwell Jr. and Liberty University reach settlement (msn.com)
I completely forgot this had been going on!  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home