Thursday, August 22, 2013

Change

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/08/19/ted-cruz-at-princeton-creepy-sometimes-well-liked-and-exactly-the-same.html

I found this interesting; first, of course, because I don't recall reading anything like this about our current President.  Second...how many really change that much in 20 years or so, politically?  I thought about myself, and pretty much my views are the same.  Dating Monica made me even more militantly free-speech, but I was pretty far along. I think I have become a bit more anti-gay marriage, somewhat so that it overtakes my libertarian streak, but not that much.  Abortion, government spending, insurance reform...the same.  I think I have become more Rand Paul-like in my views on foreign policy, but I really and truly believe we as the US have to go in and bomb the shit out of people we don't like, and I've had that view since grade six.

I guess my point is that for most people, college is when their views finalize, as you meet new people and new ideas....they come into clash with the viewpoints you brought to the place, and some sort of synthesis (or not) is the result.  I suspect that in most cases, confirmation bias results, and while you may develop a toleration for certain things, the core view doens't change; it's just a matter of nuance.
Moving on to the world of Matt, I watched "Project X" last nite -- moderately humorous, actually -- and I am close to finishing Lee's Miserables, which concerns the A.N.V in the last year of the war.  Continuing my literary approach to Say's Law, I picked up several more books at the liberry today, which I hope will impel further reading.  That said, I am going to wash the floors tonite, come hell or high water. Though high water would be somewhat more effective.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home