Sunday, August 04, 2013

Brink

http://www.freshwatercleveland.com/features/urbanorientedlife080113.aspx

I find these stories interesting, because what no one mentions is that it is the crazy GOP notion of school choice that has given  all of these parents these wonderful public, charter, and private schools.  I am willing to bet that these parents would rather eat turd than vote for a GOP candidate, but the fact of the matter remains that these new urban utopias have formed precisely because of people like me.  And they wonder why I say Catholic Schools Week should start with a procession to kiss my ass in gratitude.

I finished Season on the Brink, which I picked up at the library as an extra.  It's the story of the 1986 Indiana Hoosiers, coached by Bobby Knight.  I rather liked it, as it combines the best features of a history book with the in-depth versimilitude one craves -- the author is a sports reporter who spent a year with the team.  One thing that was interesting was how many names of note today are scattered throughout the pages; one forgets that there were a LOT of good players at Indiana.  Also...no conference tournament in those days.  The Bog Ten conference championship was determined by the regular season -- crazy talk -- and that and the non-conference record determined if you the NCAA Tournament, the NIT, or stayed home.   Today, we call that...quaint.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home