Monday, August 12, 2013

Mysteries

So, I watched the Tribe game -- who doesn't want to see Danny Salazar pitch? -- and instead watched Andrew Albers "carve" up the Tribe.  I note two things.  First, the Tribe -- as noted by the broadcasters -- plays like crap in Minnesota.  Second, it seems the Indians -- and this has been going on for quite a while now -- seems completely lost when facing a new pitcher; I mean, someone who's never been up, even if he has quite pedestrian stuff.  People like Bourn were totally flummoxed, and it seemed that only Yan Gomes actually hit the ball well.

I point these things out because 1) they've been going on for quite a while and 2) No one seems to be able fix this.  I mean, if you or I sitting on the couch can say "What the fuck?" you'd think the front office could -- using all of the sabremetric might known to man -- put together a plan of attack to win up north or figure out how to send a rookie to the showers in the fifth.  Of course, the front office has ONE postseason appearance in a decade -- in the AL Central, no less -- so maybe, just maybe, they have bigger issues.  As does ownership, obviously.

The July OC stats:
413 clients, reporting 181 seniors, 556 adults, and 398 kids.

I suspect numbers will begin to pick up now and through the year; school supplies are in, people start having more expenses, and budgets get tight.  The elasticity of demand takes over, if you will, and there you are.  The Hot Meal meeting is tomorrow (I am skipping it, like I do every time) and I assume they will report the same thing; numbers are down a bit, but going up.  The main issue for the Hot Meal isn't so much the food -- a lot of it is donated by someone else, and the fixings aren't that expensive -- but the disposables, the paper and plastic plates and cutlery.  It takes a lot out of the budget, and the prices of those things go up all the time.  I of course suggest feeding them less, or more finger food, but no one ever listens to me about these things.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home