Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Films

So, I spent each of the three previous nites catching up on some films.

Sunday I watched "42nd Street."  It is on the National Historic Film Registry, so...yes, I figure I should educate myself.  Yes, it was a musical, and pretty gay, but it wasn't awful; the dialogue worked with some pithiness, and I could see how some of the numbers would catch on in Depression America.

Monday was "Skyfall." I sort of liked it; cool action scenes, the Bond throwbacks were awesome, but...Jesus, aren't there any real villains to manufacture anymore?  There has to be some aspect of megalomania that they haven't yet dreamed up.

Yesterday was a favorite of mine I hadn't seen in a while -- "Johnny Guitar."  Yes, a Western...sort of an all-star cast -- Crawford, Hayden, Ward Bond, Borgnine, Carradine, and a few others...  It is an odd film, because in some ways, it really isn't a Western, and the female leads really drive the plot in a way not seen in most films of the genre.  On the other hand, it is a story of one person standing up to the community for what is right and just, so it is the vein as "High Noon."  I think I like the film because it is so...well, hard to place.

On to some other news...Nyjer Morgan?  Nyjer Morgan?  Well, at least the Tribe has a manager; the Browns situation is getting funnier all the time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home