Tuesday, December 03, 2013

Literature and You

I went in the attic to put away a box of stuff for storage -- I really need to get back into the going through the cabinets and closets routine again -- and then, a few minutes, while in the hallway...I discovered a large spider lowering itself from the attic door gap.  Recovering from my shock, I cut its web strand with my book and sent it to spider heaven.  In the meantime, I am now thinking of helmets, and will be spraying the attic with a more virulent form of DDT...

Speaking of books, even though I get a full load from the liberry yesterday, I went ahead and started the next fiction book on the list, Lawrence's Women in Love, the sequel to the last book I read.  Back to the Brangwen women, which is...awesome.  One thing I immediately picked up on -- after imagining what it would be like to the reader of 1920 -- is its veiled (obviously not!) eroticism; I mean, all this talk of muscled masculine thighs could only have meant one thing...

And on that note, yesterday I watched "The Broker Tower," about Hart Crane.  I think it was on the Netflix queue because it was written and starred in by James Franco...and because while I have not read much of Crane, I've always wanted to read more, as there was this sense of power, yet descriptive, language....modern flowery, if you will, in this American sense.  Anyways, the film was art house in the extreme, and...well, let's just say that it tackles Crane's homosexuality head on, if you get my drift.  I did like it -- certain parts much less so, and we will leave it at that -- and now, Lord help me, I need to add poetry to the ever-expanding reading list.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home