Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Caught

http://www.slate.com/articles/podcasts/the_audio_book_club/2013/10/ender_s_game_book_club_podcast_orson_scott_card_s_sci_fi_book_reviewed.html

I listened to this a couple of days ago...I have to admit, it has been a LONG while since I've read Ender's Game, so it would behoove me to do it again...  the podcast was interesting, but I thought it was odd...they immediately zeroed in on the use of the term "buggers;" maybe it is anti-gay, but -- and this came later -- my first instinct was to recall Heinlen and Starship Troopers; in that series, Earth was attacked by bug-like creatures.  Also...Heinlen is dark and not very religious/Christian; you cannot say that about Ender's Game, which leads me to believe that Card was being intentional in that his book was a theological response (among other things) to Heinlen, and the language...well, I guess I am not surprised that slate.com writers would be unaware of the right-leaning/libertarian.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home