Friday, February 28, 2014

Choice

http://www.forbes.com/sites/christopherhelman/2014/02/20/cheap-gasoline-why-venezuela-is-doomed-to-collapse/

As we are noticing in this country, when we proclaim things to be "free," we forget there is an actual -- and often expensive -- cost.

http://www.nbcnews.com/#/business/consumer/raise-minimum-wage-foes-say-theyll-stop-tipping-n39011
I got a kick out of this one, mainly because the whole point of tipping is that we know the servers are underpaid, and we expect them to make it up in service.  In Europe, for instance, the servers are paid real wages, hence-- no tipping!.  I happen to think that the European system is better, but...well, you can imagine that people will bitch if 1) They have crappy service and forced to pay more for meals, or 2) Servers will bitch if they give great service and are tipped zilch.  I am not unsympathetic, but...it cannot be both systems. 

I am reading Teachout's biography of Mencken; quite good, though it is no surprise I love Mencken (or Teachout, for that matter).  Going quickly, for obvious reasons.  I have been trying to get through the book pile, though of course I am adding new ones, so it is an ineffective demonstration (or effective, I guess) of Say's Law.

The first three nites of the week, I went to bed early...well, fairly early, and got sleep of decent length.  Wednesday nite was restless, Thursday was late, and now I am feeling my ass kicked.  I have nowhere to be tomorrow but here, so I am trying to sleep in, but I am not sanguine as to the prospect of fitful rest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home