Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Two sides

So, a friend of mine had an extra ticket to the Buffalo regional NCAA games, so...off I went.  It was actually pretty cool.  Buffalo is in a lot of ways like C-town; some urban development going on, some cool new spots, and plenty of places that look like they should be bulldozed.  As to the hoops, they were fun; I mean, the first game was quite the nail-biter (I think Boeheim is a littel schwarmy, so I don't mind them losing) and the second was interesting; 'Nova did the Duke thing and did nothing but chuck up threes, which sort of works, but not for long, especially when the other teams plays defense and establishes an inside game (I love Duke and Coach K, but that loss to Mercer has to be on him; they played game as if it was a paycheck, and it showed).  UConn has a killer guard and actual players...and it was downhill for Villanova for there.  All of this before a packed and enthusiastic crowd.

My health is about the same, the weather hasn't helped, and while I slept in the car, I didn't the rest of the time, so that was a wash.

BP2K14 has arrived and now I am chock full of player analysis and other cheery baseball details.  Hard to believe given the weather and all the season is upon us (I don't really count the Down Under games).  I am perplexed by the Justin Masterson handwringing; let's look at this:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/m/masteju01.shtml

I see two good years in five.  Last year saw some good things -- more Ks, less hits, slighly fewer walks.  But, of course, it is something of an outlier, or he alternates good and bad years.  The defense behind him is a concern (more so, to an extent, with Santana at 3B, mitigated by the platooning that goes on with the sidearm delivery), and, well, he is a one-trick pony, pitchwise.  I am not saying that I don't expect good things from him, but I also will not be surprised if he regresses again, and then he really wouldn't be worth the big money, will he now?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home