Monday, August 24, 2015

That Old Time Religion

Arms day today...still a little sore.  Honestly, while I realize that ALL of the workouts are important, I've always seen arms as the best one...the one I really need to do the most; I think it is because I've always looked at the biceps as the thing that women/people go for, and thus...well, I prefer to work the hardest there...whereas, for something like legs...well, who cares?  Chest/back/core I tend to mix on, though given that one helps the other...well, I don't skimp on it anymore.

Had an interesting discussion with a coworker today...I made a reference to Elmer Gantry, she wiki-ed it, and we had a chat about it...I told her that that sort of thing was once an integral part of the American experience, and that she had never heard of it... I mean, part of it was that she was a Catholic (and that experience is largely foreign us), the other, I think, is that we tend to forget that 1) The US was a bit more religious in the day (for instance, the Bible was a/THE textbook even in public schools) and 2) Before TV, of course, you had to go out for entertainment...and the religious revival/tent meeting was such an affair...  Now, I think, it is reversed...the megachurches and the TV preachers ARE the entertainment, and you can watch them from the comfort of your home...if you think about it, most of the trappings are the same -- the "sea of green" is handled by phone and net; there is still a hunk of people who "come on down" and get the healing and such with a large crowd watching (from satellite, but still), and you do get the old time religion/rabble-rousing sermon.  Whether this is a good or bad thing...well, I pass no judgments either way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home