Sunday, August 16, 2015

Day of Rest

For a day when I didn't do anything, it has been busy -- caught up on some work, did the OC budget report, answered some of the email backlog, watched the Tribe lose...rah.  The OC budget is ok...just ok.  Our parish missed the July collection, which is a minor issue...we also are short a big collection/donation (I budget for two).  Expenses-wise...we have a few K more in the account than expected because we haven't received the utility bill..we are about a month ahead in food costs, which is a sort of problem -- I expected us to do so to bleed off cash; once we do -- and I expect us to -- we cannot go into the well next year.  Oi.

Crossed two films off the list -- last nite "Prisoner of Zenda" was on TCM, so I watched...I liked it; I wouldn't say it was the best film ever, but it was very light and cheeky while covering...political intrigue, if you will.  I also watched "Hester Street," a film about Russian Jews emigrating to the US.  Same...liked it, not so much for the plot, but for the historical look...This puts me to 335...sooner or later I will decelerate to watch "Mad Men," but there is something to be said for cramming and pushing along.  Speaking of which, I have 40 pages to go on Herodotus...

I do want to see the mini-series about the affordable housing battle in Yonkers in the 80s...again, while I agree with them, there still exists the problem of there simply being not enough housing in general for people; there is an artificial scarcity of affordable housing because 1) People who don't have money to rent are bad risks;  2) The same people really tend to tear up housing stock, so much so that the Section 8 vouchers only work for the slumlord class (efficiency of scale) and 3) We don't want to admit that the best way to fix the crisis is to build up...putting a couple of hundred people in a better neighborhood is laudable, but does nothing for those left behind...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home