Wednesday, July 06, 2016

Economics

Here I am, up at one...went to bed at 11, nada.  Oi.  Working from home tomorrow, which will help, but....this sleepless business is...unpleasant.

Watching the Tribe lose today for a bit at the gym...I couldn't help but notice that Francona left Tomlin in at least one batter too long, possibly more.  He did the same with Kluber in Toronto; to be sure, that was a bit more defensible -- not wanting to go to the pen after the marathon game, I can see, but today...well, the relief corps was mainly fresh, with only Clevinger unavailable.  Bringing in McAllister only exacerbated the beating...

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index.ssf/2016/07/no_guardedly_about_it_michael.html#incart_river_index

I hadn't realized House was sent to the bullpen; of course, considering he is now behind Clevinger/Anderson/Plutko/Merritt at AAA, well, maybe, just maybe, he figured out that a new job was better than a new career, if you get my drift.

http://nrn.com/us-top-100/2016-top-100-why-chick-fil-no-5-fastest-growing-chain?NL=NRN-02_&Issue=NRN-02__20160706_NRN-02__444&sfvc4enews=42&cl=article_3&utm_rid=CPG06000000728934&utm_campaign=10442&utm_medium=email&elq2=742802fdfacf41b699ddc4d279c362be

I would still argue their position as the fast food restaurant of conservatives, if not leading to growth now, set the stage for it; as the chain moves outside of the South, people like me -- making fun of liberals is always amusing -- will seek it out and form a cadre of consumers...

I am reading Castles, Battles, and Bombs, which is economic look at military decision making.  As you can tell, I like it quite a bit; the part about castle building was solid, as was the argument against strategic bombing in WW2.  One flaw I found was the discussion about the US Civil War; namely, the authors barely alluded to Lee's penchant for heavy casualties during his campaigns -- which certainly violated the notion of economy of material (i.e., men).  But overall...I think more of this sort of analysis would do everyone quite well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home