Thursday, December 28, 2017

Hmmm

Crossed another film off the list yesterday -- possibly #600 by the old standard -- "Stand and Deliver," the 80s film about the Latino teacher who pushes his students to take and ace the AP Calculus exam (this is the point where ALL of my high school friends would remind everyone which Math God took said exam and received a 2 and said recipient would tell them to suck a dick...preferably his.  But I digress.)  Anyways, I was poking around the 'Net, and there was certainly some pushback to the idea of this film meriting inclusion.  I sort of get it -- not terribly compelling, we know what happens, crappy 80s music, sort of trite and over the top.  On the other hand, while it is not "Citizen Kane," nor is it "Gigli," either.  It does have star power -- Olmos, Lou Diamond Phillips, Andy Garcia with a bit role -- and with 90% of the cast being Latino, I can see how it had cultural relevance...

https://www.vox.com/conversations/2016/12/27/14038406/donald-trump-frankfurt-school-brexit-critical-theory

I got a kick out of this, mainly because...well, with the media dominated by the left and Trumpian critics...well, it's sort of hard to present the type of cultural critique as presented by the Frankfurt school, isn't it?  I would argue that the Trumpians, if you will, repsonded to his message in spite of the media (and this cultural/media framework has continued to this day).  I don't really care, of course -- I mean, I expect the media always to be against us -- but one would think they would; yes the WaPo and the NYT are doing well, but everywhere else, of course, newspapers are not... I would think in some part this is due to the fact that the people on the right are voting with their feet and elsewhere, off the coasts, there are simply not enough people to keep them afloat...  which leaves only the coastal bastions to promulgate the news, which continues the cycle....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home