Friday, November 02, 2018

Make it Not Rain

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2018/10/29/duke-kentucky-recruiting-freshmen-mike-krzyzewski-john-calipari

Ummm...yeah?  I don't know, for all of the talk of how Duke is superior to Kentucky and all...this sort of seems like a copout.  Teams can win without doing this; Villanova, for instance, has done it twice,and I don't seem to recall any one-and-dones there.

In other college news, I am...bemused, I guess, by the DJ Durkin thing at Maryland.  I would say how stupid can you be, but...well, people can be plenty stupid, let me tell you.  But, the thing that amuses me most is how it compares to OSU... the scenarios aren't quite the same, but in Columbus, the University seemed to want to fire him, the BoT said no, and Urban got a three-week vacation. Here...the BoT said don't fire him, but the President did so anyways.  Now, to be sure, there was a lot MORE blowback from the press on the Maryland scandal; I would argue that most people in OSU-ville didn't want him fired (conduct unbecoming or not)... but in Columbus everyone decided to swallow their objections while in College Park it was too much.  Interesting (but not surprising).

I also noted some schaudenfreude on the right-wing sites that ABC is probably not renewing "The Connors" sans Roseanne. I think...um, ok?  I am not sure there are any good outcomes here; they sort of had to fire her, since she was over the line. On the other hand, I also think a lot of people (deplorable or not) watched the show because of her, and ABC had to know this.  If they had let her stay... I dunno, how much sensitivity training and such could she have (and do any good)?  Maybe they should have sent her back, but I don't really think anyone thought it was an option.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kristenlopez/2018/11/02/the-demise-of-filmstruck-and-the-plight-of-the-classic-film/#60b7b768246b
For the record, I never used it... this could be me, but... I think this is a market function more than anything; there is a cable channel for classic films (TCM) and that just might be enough, or too mch, even.  I think she is right (and as a silent film fan) it is a shame that people aren't interested in cinematographic history, but I can also see it, because...well, lots of films nowadays are pretty good and cool and fun to watch; older films are different, no CGI, innuendo, etc. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home