Wednesday, July 03, 2019

Sorrows and joy

Continuing with my usual, non-blogging vein... lots of deaths -- and early ones -- in the sports world with Skaggs and Lorenzen.... sad, for lack of a better word.  Then, I heard on the radio that "Enema of the State" is 20 years old this year... and I really felt old. 

https://slate.com/culture/2019/06/flashback-wings-movie-1927.html
This was interesting, though not enough to merit subscribing to slate, of course... I appreciated the "Pearl Harbor" reference, because I told some friends I hadn't seen it, so of course they made me watch...  It was...ok?  A little long?  A little maudlin?  Of course -- doubling down on the stupid -- I told them later I had neven seen "Elf" either... it was ok?  I guess I just take or leave Wil Ferrell, more or less, and again...cute and funny but a little maudlin.

Finally, I watched "Rebecca," the Hitchcock psychological thrilled (705 down on the NFR list)...and I did like that.  Interesting film, actually, with some odd plot twists that I didn't even see...

https://www.wsj.com/articles/youngstown-vindicators-collapse-are-local-papers-beyond-saving-11562151602
On the one hand, I feel badly; on the other... well, there are 8,999 other left-wing media outlets they can find work at...  I have to admit, though, after reading this article...well, I am shocked, shocked that a top-heavy, union shop has trouble surviving in this day and age....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home