Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Sorting

Funny, for all of the pain yesterday... nothing today.  I mean, usually, after a charley horse, my leg is sore for a day or so, but not today...odd.  I did take an hour-and-a-half nap today -- something I rarely do -- which was nice; oddly refreshing and invigorating.  I am still sleep deprived, I feel, but I was less so today.  Phew.

Had to go into the office today to clean out my desk; supposedly, in expectation that the lease will NOT be renewed, we had to move our stuff.  Anyways... I had a box, and filled it -- mainly with paper -- and then of course I had to haul all the magazines I read away, and... it was quite a haul.  Half of the paper was old studies and stuff I saved for whatever reason; I filled a smaller box with them and added them to the recycle pile on the curb.  The rest...some I have to go through and some I need to find online the originals and save them, I think... The magazile pile to read... I pawed through a few and will keep doing it; the problem is what to do after I read them; prolly won;t return to the office. Of course, if we do move...what happens to those archives and the other stuff we;ve accumulated (the construction group has an impressive arsenal of saved sources)?  Oi.

Like everyone else, I was amazed by pulling Snell last night, and I won't make any snarky comments about it.  I did like Trevor Bauer's take on Justin Turner and his appearance at the victory celebration. 

https://www.americamagazine.org/faith/2020/10/16/church-losing-touch-working-class-catholics

Interesting...I go both ways on this.  Also, I think this is a de facto policy for a bunch of reasons, mainly fiscal; not sure about politics, as most of the priests I have known lean leftward, sometimes to the barricades.  Anyways, first... they are right, that yes, modern Catholicism tends to stress social policy more... I would argue it is easier to articulate the "right" answer (i.e., we are pro-life, so no abortion, ever!) than, say, economically... it sucks to close a factory in the US, but what of the Catholics in Mexico, Vietnam, etc., who will be employed when the place opens there?  There isn't anything in the Catechism that says our jobs are more important than theirs.

Point two is...both sides tend to equate agreement on one side of the rules as a pass on the other, and I don't think that is what the Catechism says, either.  I mean, the lefty types want economic justice -- and I agree - but then ignore the stuff about abortion, homosexuality, etc., which is as wrong as the "ultramontane" types adopting a Ricardo-style economic policy.  Catholicism has tenets that are uncomfortable for the left as much as the right, and in this day and age it is hard for the average Massgoer to separate them into one political party or another...  As I like to say, I like volunteering at the food pantry, but it's not my first choice of activities...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home