Friday, July 02, 2021

Thoughts

 July already...the year is slipping by!  Anyways, went to the Tribe game last night -- my friend Mike had an extra tucket and graciously invited me along.  It was fun, aside from the loss... couple things we discussed.  One, the OF defense is pretty poor; Thursday's miscue was probably linked to the collision Sunday, but...this has been a theme all year. Two, what has Daniel Johnson done to piss off the front office?  I don't know, just doesn't look like Mercado has figured it out yet, and while I don;t think Johnson could be any better...I just don't think that he could be worse.  Three, much like the hitters, guys like Mejia and Quantrill were hurt by the lack of an AAA season, as they too could use development time.  Mejia has better stuff, but command is hit and miss; Quantrill is more polished but also more what-you-see-is-what-you-get. 

Thought about going tonight, but figured Hentges would get shelled, and...I was right.  Of course, now is not the time to complain -- any arm will do -- but it still sucks.

Proud of myself; hit the gym twice on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday...good to get the workouts in, and while I suspect I need to eat less crap to burn weight, it was good to get the muscle work in and to read the exercises bike a bit more (and to get more reading done).

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/06/28/desantis-trump-gop-election-496367

Interesting; I mean, I think DeSantis can use the gubernatorial race as a convenient fiction for a while, but he will eventually have to decide if he wants to kill the king...and, of course, you better not miss.

https://www.mischiefsoffaction.com/post/how-years-of-mandate-claiming-paved-the-way-for-the-crisis-of-democracy

One thing I have gotten a kick out of, both in 2016 and now, this idea that you have a mandate and that you need to do all this stuff before the other party takes over and stops you... yes, that part of it is true, but given the closeness of those elections...it makes the part about the mandate simply untenable.  But parties are trapped by the rhetoric, which in turn leads to both voter disillusionment AND a heightening of the rhetoric...both of which are equally untenable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home