Monday, June 07, 2021

Turn the page

 So, today is the birthday....we say goodbye to the Jackie Robinson year and on to...the Brad Daugherty?  Ok, it wasn't too bad -- it certainly had its low points -- but I guess my hope for this year is that it is quiet and peaceful.  I would not mind living in unintereting times. As for the day itself...not much; stopped work at 5, watched the OK/JMU game in the WCWS, dined; I have been tired all day, so I skipped the gym and decided to answer emails and clean out the bookmarks (as best as I can).  So here we are...

https://www.lawyersgunsmoneyblog.com/2021/05/why-does-college-cost-so-much

Interesting.  One thing that has always fascinated me is the lack of a response by professors to the loss of faculty posts and this explosion of non-teaching positions that suck up resources.  It is their livelihood that is being affected, but no one seems to effectively squawk about it.  In some ways this would be an ideal time for a smart GOP governor to pull a Trump...one could make some points (to voting parents) about how this surge in non-teaching staff affects their pocketbook and the quality of their kids' education, and by threating to cut budgets and fire people -- even indirectly -- might get them on their side (to say nothing of the general GOP enthsiasm for cutting budgets and saving taxpayer money, in theory).  Of course, we have nothing to gain from this arrangement, so....

Corpus Christi was yesterday...the crowd at the procession was a bit smaller than usual, and its route was a bit shorter, but it was quite nice all the same.  I received the honor of canopy duty...I will assume it is for meritorous service to the parish, and not a combination of being young enough to do it and gullible enough not to get out of it.  I do like the procession, though; it's an old tradition and I am glad we keep it up.  The Polish community certainly does its part...

https://www.theringer.com/music/2021/5/25/22452539/soundscan-billboard-charts-streaming-numbers

Interesting!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home