Wednesday, June 02, 2021

The Morning Edition

 I was supposed to post yesterday, but I also wanted to get about 6 hours of sleep, so... here we are now, somewhat rested and refreshed. More seruously, it was good to get sleep, so I may as well try and keep it up.  Yesterday I hit the gym twice -- legs in the AM -- and cut down on the food intake, and while I am not feeling less fat, if I keep this up...  I also cut the grass; everyone else was, and it may rain today, so I figured I would join the fun.  I will return to basement work today...I can, I have decided, start putting Humpty Dumpty back together, so I may as well get on with it.

That was certainly an...exciting Tribe game.  Could be me, but maybe Karinchak has been...overworked?Seems to be getting a lot of work, and in close/tight games, which can only add to the stress level.  At least Hedges hit a HR -- a mistake, all he can hit -- and Harold Ramirez is proving to be quite the find.  Kudos to his agent to identifying the best place to land in the offseason (yeah, I know we picked him up, but agents do play a role here). Funny...I was listening on the radio yesterday, and Hamilton was all over LaRussa  for going with a hit-and-run in the 8th with Madrigal.  Yes, it was odd, but TLR is old school, and if there is a guy to try it, it's Nick Madrigal...so I liked it.

Speaking of liking, I finished up Shattered Sword, which looks at the Battle of Midway from the Japanese perspective, and also challenges/demolishes many of the previously conceived ideas about the battle.  I loved it; lots of fascinating stuff, with looks at Japanese carrier operations, submarne searches, staff work; he even pooh-poohed the idea of the Japanese landing force taking the island.  Quite good, I really pored through this one.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/06/01/trump-lost-generation-491474

https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-turned-nonvoters-into-voters-in-2020-will-they-turn-out-for-next-years-midterms-11622545202

I guess I view these as...the same thing? The GOP is changing, and some older types are not comfortable...which in turn opens the door for new candidates.  Will it work?  Maybe.  We will see in 2022.  (Let's not forget that the GOP autopsy of 2012, cheerily disregarded, won in 2016.)  Many of these new voters  -- perhaps attracted to a candidate who spoke to them, like Trump -- need to be cultivated to get to the polls, while we need to get the votes back of those who lost.  To me, this implies a race where Trump is not on the ballot (easier said than done) but his ideas and disciples are...


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home