Saturday, June 05, 2021

Troubles on the Horizon

 Should have blogged Thursday or Friday, but last night I went to bed early (ish) and Thursday I watched "Uncut Gems" -- the Adam Sandler movie from a couple of years ago.  Quite good, had an ending I didn't see coming.  Funny; I used to think he was funny as hell, and now not so much... but I think he adds a certain realism to serious roles.

I have another birthday Monday, and let's just say that I am not exactly looking forward to it (for the usual reasons).  We carry on.  Ugh.  One is reminded of this process every day...sigh.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2021/6/2/22455622/anti-semitism-israel-gaza-hamas-new-york-los-angeles-2021

Yeah, I have no idea why this is happening.  :)

The jobs report came out yesterday, and I think -- for all of the hullaballoo -- it was fine?  Jobs are coming back, but not all that rapidly.  People don't want to work, people want to work for a better wage, a lot of businesses are going to have trouble with that right now because all of the other costs are going up as well.  Funny; I was explaining to a less economically-savvy friend (a Dem, of course) that wages are tricky in that yes, they stimulate the bad inflation (cost-push) but they also spur aggregate demand (people have more to spend), so the trick is getting the rate right.  I suspect demand is higher now so it might be ok to get wages rising faster but I also don't think this will go on that long, and then that is where the "fun" will begin.  Maybe there will be a supply increase -- lumber mills are adding capacity, for instance -- but I think most will occur once demand is more flat, and then it will be.... not helpful.  What happens in a year in a more normal economy, or a slowing one, and businesses start cutting back?  Or, at least capping wage gains?  You might see a shedding of jobs, which would of course affect demand....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home