Wednesday, June 23, 2021

Holes

Talking about the Tribe rotation -- or lack thereof -- today...one thing that struck me was that a generation or so ago, a team (especially one with an expectation of making the playoffs) running short on starters would make a move (any move) to fix the holes; yes, you may be trading away John Smoltz, but Doyle Alexander was a guy you needed now.  Nowadays, it seems, teams just don't do that; they fill from within, or, for better or worse, do without.  You get 3 or 4 IP from the "starter," and go from there.  To be sure, there are fewer starters out there, and teams really value prospects (and team control) more, but... this is just new and odd to me.

Similarly, today is Clarence Thomas's birthday...I made some jokes about Long Dong Silver, and there was a generational slant as to those who got the cultural reference.  I mean...I remember the hearings, and it was quite the thing, but now... I don't know, it seems almost tame?  Maybe not...if anything, he would have been dead man walking with the allegations, and no dragging over the coals of Anita Hill....

I am glad this happened, and I think they ruled largely correctly, though I would prefer a more broad defense of free speech here.  Thus, it was somewhat troubling (if not sad) to see Thomas with the dissent here.  I see his point, but the fact of the matter is -- especially now when there is much less to trust with our public schools -- we don't need them policing online content.  Except, maybe, their own.

Interesting and largely correct!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home