Tuesday, December 14, 2021

Movies

 As the cable hookup to the TV is out (again; it worked Sunday before going kaput), we are back to watching TV online.  They had a Lubitsch marathon on TCM today -- his early, silent works.  I watched the first one, "The Doll," from 1919.  It's an early version of "Lars and the Real Girl," but here the hero gets a doll to get a dowry from his rich uncle and get him off his back to marry.  It's quite funny, and I have to admit...let's just say that he got the role of the monks spot on.  

https://www.newsweek.com/republican-partys-multiethnic-working-class-coalition-taking-shape-opinion-1658050

One can hope.  A lot to like here...I think he is right that the GOP has this massive new roll of voters in its grasp, but of course...we have to deliver.  It's a narrow needle to thread on a good day, and given the...plutocratic and lily-white nature of the party, not any easier.  But... let's just say that Donald Trump has given us this gift, and we need to use it.

https://www.loc.gov/item/prn-21-078/

So, this came out today... I have seen six of the 25; I am not counting "Sounder" and "Nightmare" since it has been so long since I have seen them...  Actually, you could watch ALL of the films I've seen again.  "Hellbound Train" is certainly interesting; African-American film, the warnings of a sinful life.  "Strangers on a Train;" all I can say is that one could watch any Hitchcock film many times.  "Pink Flamingos" I need NOT see again.  "The Long Goodbye" is a neo-film noir, quite good; funny, I have been watching a bunch lately, and this pops up.  "Return of the Jedi" is of course a classic, not that I am a fan of the genre; ditto for "LofR," and I could watch that one again..  No, I haven't seen "Wall-E" or :"Baby Jane."  In the meantime, I have now seen 768 out of 825 on the list; I need to make a list of the ones I have not seen, rather than fumble through the morass of papers I use currently... considering my fondness for lists, a list of lists would be Matt heaven.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home