Thursday, February 17, 2022

The Slow Walk to Judgment

 My plan to get to bed before midnight is probably shot, but I have been...productive.  Funny, didn't start that way -- I slept in a bit and didn't hit the gym, which I should have done, considering the weather (so I didn't go at all).  But I just plowed ahead with the new job -- presentations, stuff to read, stuff to look up, papers to revise -- and it was good.  It is new and different, and I am learning a lot.  Do I miss the old job?  In some ways, but not in others.  Next week, I think, I will quit trying to work in both time zones -- they are ok with this -- and life might get a bit more normal.

I am not surprised by the verdict in the Skaggs murder case; I wonder what the follow-up will be.  I realize they have other problems in that league, of course, but I can't imagine that all of this drug use will go unpunished.  Or, it shouldn't.  To be sure, this is not baseball's first drug scandal, and nor will it be the last, but... someone is dead because of this, and if they can't figure out a mixture of punishment and rehab...

Rob Portman endorsing Jane Timken was not something I saw coming.  To be sure, it makes sense; she has been a loyal soldier as head of the GOP, has plenty of money, doesn't have the RINO tab, and is a woman, always nice in the GOP's push for diversity.  On the other hand...well, this is the thing that will get her to stand out; it's not like she has distinguished herself in one way or the other. More importantly, RINO Rob's endorsement might hurt, as well; he hasn't exactly endeared himself to the base, and every other candidate can make haste to stress the point.

JD Vance has campaign ads up now, and they are... pretty good?  Certainly point out his strengths, and the generous shots of Tucker Carlson don't exactly hurt with the GOP electorate that views him as must-see TV...

One other downside of not hitting the gym, working more, and being busy is that I have read less, and the movies from the National Film Registry and the library are sitting on the table...maybe this weekend?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home