Thursday, February 10, 2022

Progress of a sort

 First time in a bit (ok, since Monday) I was able to get a double gym day in.  Low blood sugar in the AM so no cardio, but I got a good long session -- on top of leg day -- in the evening, so I think I am ok.  Not really; I put on a couple of pounds during the weekend and all these IPAs and fries and such do not help.  I do feel stronger -- added some weights to the workouts this week and I don't feel too bad after.

I do need more cardio time, though, as it allows me to read.  Right now -- and this will be book ten -- I am working on Cornelius Ryan's A Bridge Too Far, his wonderful history of Operation Market Garden.  It's sad, knowing how everything ended (especially for the British) but one cannot help but get the sense that it was too much -- especially with airborne troops -- and it was exacerbated by the refusal of the Allies to seriously consider the evidence that the Germans had stronger forces there than originally thought.  To be sure, the idea was that the airborne troops were just sitting around (rhetorically speaking) but all of the resources used for that battle could have been given to Patton to fight his way into Germany (before the Russians).  And, no one should ever discount the fighting power of the Wehrmacht... which the Allies (East and West) often did, to their own peril.  Anyways, this book is long (500 plus pages), some of the next ones I got from the library are bulky, and I also have some films to watch.  It will be a full-media weekend at Chateau Mattie, not that this is bad.

Got my gas bill today, and...wow.  I mean, it was almost double what it was last month.  While there were a couple of days when I put up a bit, most of the time we are at 60 or so, so...this was incredible.  Now, I know why gas prices are so high (it is my job, in part) but it is still no fun.  The windows as the next home improvement project seems to be gaining steam.  But I would like a new bathroom...

https://townhall.com/columnists/kurtschlichter/2022/02/10/the-gop-must-adopt-a-no-prisoners-agenda-for-2023-n2602998?106

I would like this very much, but...seeing is believing, they say.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home