Monday, March 28, 2022

Shots

 So, my plans tonight were changed by the totally crazy Elite Eight game between #1 seed NC State and #2 seed UCONN (playing a de facto home game in Bridgeport, CT); I was rooting for NC State, because who wants to see UCONN winning every year (let us not discuss why I believe Duke should win every year, of course).  Anyways, this game had a pair of defensive stops at the end of regulation, a game-tying three at the end of the first OT, and finally UCONN pulling away in 2OT.  I realize with the Allstate commercial or whatever that no one watches women's basketball (by choice) but tonight was a game they should have.

The slap heard round the world...all I can is that I thought it was staged to boost media attention for the Oscars; prolly not, of course, but...at least people were talking about them.  I give Chris Rock credit for not decking the guy, but... let's just say that no one seems to be getting any positive press from the show.

So, Ron DeSantis signed the "Don't Say Gay" bill (which, of course, it does not say that). I watched the presser, and it was...impressive.  I mean, I don't think that this is a terrible problem, but from what we have learned from home schooling, Zoom, and today's presser... it is a problem in some instances.  I don't know; if I was a parent, I certainly wouldn't want my kid at 5, or 8, discussing this at all, and I certainly wouldn't the school to handle the discussion before I did (if at all).  I think most parents feel this way; certainly, the bill polls well, which is...indicative.

There is another point here, which is...well, I think over the past two years, as parents have come to assume more of a role in their kids' schooling, is that people do not like what they see... from teacher behavior, to curriculum, to the NEA refusing to open the schools, and people have decided it is time to get active in their schools.  Nor do I am blame them; teachers and their unions (and the school boards) have acted poorly; not in the interest of the students, but in their own interests.  So, when some GOP governor senses a mood....well, as a certain Democratic president used to say, "Good politics is good policy," and I don't understand why all of a sudden the rules have changed now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home