Monday, March 14, 2022

Primary battles

So, yesterday I finished The Spider Network, which concerned the efforts to game the Libor rate (used by banks to calculate inter-bank interest rates).  Interesting stuff, in many ways; unsurprisingly, of course, of all the people involved in this, only one went to prison, and in most cases neither the traders nor the banks that hired them faced no repercussions for their actions.  I am not exactly a build the barriers type, but even I found this to be something of an injustice.  Today I moved on to Douthat's To Change the Church, a look at the Francis papacy.  Like a lot of what Douthat writes... I like it and find it interesting, even if I do not necessarily agree with what he says.  It's also a quick read -- not even 200 pages -- and as the book list is long...

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/03/13/florida-america-culture-war-00016797

I don't know; maybe they think it is a winning argument?  Florida has a gubernatorial race this year, and of course, DeSantis is #2 in the shadow GOP primary, and what better way to remind everyone that you are a real conservative by passing laws and going off on left-wing corporations?  As Bill Clinton used to say, good politics is good policy.

https://www.cleveland.com/news/2022/03/ohio-gov-mike-dewine-signs-into-law-bill-allowing-people-to-carry-guns-without-training-or-permits.html

Does this happen if DeWine isn't facing a contested primary?  I think not.  Now, I am sort of torn by this... I don't necessarily think it is a bad thing that people should get training before strapping on a weapon (concealed or not), and I don't think it is a bad thing to tell a cop that you are packing (the whole part of law-abiding citizen).  On the other hand... these things are not exactly in the spirit of the Second Amendment.  

Forgot to mention... Friday I hit St. Andrew's, the Ukrainian Catholic parish on Hoertz in Parma for their fish fry.  Never been...I didn't realize how much space they have; the church is in front, and they have a cemetery behind (couldn't help but notice the monument to the Ukrainian insurgents, and how we may need another one), then the parish hall.  The fish fry was carry-out only, but... there was a lengthy line.  As my sister likes to say, if you are going to be stuck inside, you might as well be able to eat there, too.  I suspect they would save on all those carry out containers, as well.  Anyways...I soon discovered that they had ran out of fried fish, and that was the delay.  I ordered baked, and hoped it would get my food faster...and it did, but... I was surprised that they had ran out.  Ideally, it was due to people supporting Ukraine.  I did my share and bought a cookie for relief; amusingly, many people gave me with the proviso that it be spent on ammunition.

The food itself was pretty good; the baked fish was lightly breaded but decent.  The two potato pancakes were huge (one was lunch the next day), and the extra side of cabbage and noodles was pretty decent; not sure it was worth $5, but it was flavorful (and a good mix of cabbage!).  The cookie was nice; home-baked butter cookies always make a nice ending...  I have to admit, after last year...three good meals is quite heavenly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home