Monday, February 28, 2022

Catching up

 Busy weekend of sorts...caught up on stuff.  Answered a bunch of emails.  Food pantry duty -- slow but steady.  We had plenty of help, which was nice, as we were able to do stuff -- rotate stock, clean, take everything to the recycle bins, move stuff around that needed to be moved, put out extra clothing racks, clean bins -- that sort of thing.  It should happen more often, but for a number of reasons (crowd, help) it does not.  The place did look a bit better when I left.

Last night I went with the godsons to see "Death on the Nile."  (I do love Christie.)  It was...ok?  Good not great?  I mean, I think Branagh catches the spirit of the man, but I am not a fan of going away from the canonical story of Poirot, nor the diversions of the movie from the book.  Everyone does it, but...  the other thing was that we were the only people in the theater!  I know there is COVID, and I know you can order movies from your home, but... I don't know, something about going to see a movie...well, it's still fun.

https://noahpinion.substack.com/p/the-big-sanctions-a-quick-explainer?utm_source=url

Good explanation!  More seriously...while all are pleased that Ukraine is holding on...it's sort of like the Russo-Finnish War of 1939-1940, or what Shelby Foote said about the North in the Civil War -- we fought it with one hand behind our back, and if we had needed to, we could have pulled out the other one.  I wonder if the world will -- once this ends -- go back to the way things were, or if the sanctions and such will continue.  I just wonder how long people's memories will last.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home