Thursday, February 24, 2022

Sadness and joy

 And so it begins.  The news out of Ukraine is disheartening; not unexpected, but sad all the same.  In some ways, I wish we had troops on the ground and were threatening nukes; Putin is a threat to all that is good and holy, and he needs to be -- in the words of Robert E. Lee -- "suppressed;" let's hope the Ukrainians make it as painful as possible.  Again, not sure we can do more, but I also think Biden could have been...stronger.  More support to Ukraine.  More sanctions.  Indeed, as Trump pointed out, Putin is rolling him because he feels he can, and he was right.  No one, I see, is asking Obama if he wanted to apology to Mitt Romney (and America), I note...

In happier news....Cleveland has a pierogi week.  This is new to me, and my thought was...awesome.  Now, with Lent coming up, this does limit the menu choices -- as does my dislike of potato and cheddar (a truly not Polish choice) -- but I have found a few places that offer interesting alternatives.  I realize a pierogi is technically hard to fuck up, but not impossible (sadly).  Anyways, I will hit one, at least.  I also need to strategerize my fish fry visits, and maybe cross off some of the food list.  I will be a fat pig at this rate.  Tonight's ice storm will mean only two gym doubles this week, but some healthy fish will offset that.  I hope. 

https://www.si.com/college/2022/02/24/grambling-state-adds-art-briles-to-coaching-staff

I don't know...I mean, for one, an HBCU hiring a white guy...most impressive.  More seriously, I get the point of the article, but...maybe he's learned?  Maybe he won't be in a position to let rapists run wild?  Ok, who are we kidding, probably not, but, how on earth do you expect people to be repentant if you don't give them a chance?  Unless the argument is no one gets a second chance.... I am not opposed to this, of course, but 1) It's not very Christian (for those who believe in that) and 2) It's not very American ("Hoosiers" is on tomorrow night, for instance).

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2022/02/19/pj-orourke-republican-00010199

Interesting and amusing.  I don't know; I have gotten more libertarian as I have aged...might be a function of the process, or maybe you just care about different things...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home