Friday, September 30, 2022

Reflections

 Interesting day today.... today would have been Mom's bday, and -- also because I didn't want to cook -- I went to Wendy's to celebrate.  A 4 for $4 meal, a free mini frosty, and endless refills of flavored Diet Dr. Pepper... well, Mom would have approved.  Not that I was depressed, just...well, it was something I felt like doing.  I was able to do a gym double today, and really pushed the cardio (after legs) at night... I weighed in at 194.2; still too much, but given one of the symptoms of this norovirus....well, it's not all bad.

I was talking to one of the trainers at the gym -- noticing I was lugging around an 800-page tome, and we got to talking about my exercise routine.  But, the one thing he mentioned -- repeatedly -- was that I am not sleeping enough.  He said it was common for everyone, but in my age group (he was a few years behind but didn't look it)... as he noted, sleep and diet are the things we can best control.  Stress and life happen.  You pig out once in a while.  All of those things are ok, but sleep really does recharge you, helps you lose weight, etc.  I just might not set the alarm tonight, just to try it.

As for the book,  it is interesting... I am about 160 pages in, and it is brief vignettes about cultural figures (Miles Davis now); 2/3 of whom I have heard of, the rest I wikipediaed.  The author does move around; he spent more time talking about Bix Biederbecke in the Louis Armstrong essay, for instance, and in some cases he only barely touches a figure.  Odd.  The text is dense (it is cultural criticism) but it does move, so it is not the worst.

https://www.pillarcatholic.com/pittsburgh-diocese-catholic-identity-conference-not-endorsed-by-catholic-bishop/
Catholics who are actually Catholic, what will they think of next?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home