Saturday, February 04, 2023

A Great Day for Social Justice

 So, food pantry duty today; it was funny, I woke up at the crack of dawn, got there early to make sure everything was spit and polish for the inspection...I arrived at 7:45, and there was already a client there (his engine was idling; for a Hope and Changer, he seemed unconcerned with his effect on global climate change).  I was fascinated.  Anyways, we had a lot of stuff to give away -- romaine lettuce, parsley, arugula, and produce, all of which was now or never.  Plus, there were random snack bags (pretzels, mainly), water, brand X sports drinks, and pop to get rid of, and, somehow we got soon-to-expire ice cream.  So, once I got the coffee started and recorded the freezer temperatures, I made sure to coordinate with the baggers and the other managers... and most went.  The count was 110, so... we gave out what we could.  Funny; we were short in the back, in the bagging area, so I moved myself there for a bit.  Half of the time I was not bagging, but bringing up boxes of canned goods, opening them, moving trash, taking sets of food bags to the front, and doing all the little things, but, of course, they all take time to do, so the guys bagging could actually assembly-line bag.  

Our inspection was today, too; I was glad she came during the morning rush (always good to look busy, even though we were busy), and I think it went well... she liked the set up, asked questions about the clients, and discussed how she wanted more demographic info... while this will be something of a challenge as we are still in drive-through mode, it is not impossible; heck, we could ask people one question a month or so and not really slow things down.  I will mull it over with the other comanagers...

Then, of course, it was home... I had some stuff to take care of here, and I guess I nodded off for an hour, as it is now almost 4!  Where the hell did the day go?  I mean, it's fine, life is meant to be lived, but I would have liked an extra hour to read or something.  I guess tomorrow will be my off day...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home