Thursday, February 02, 2023

Eating Out

So...last night I met a friend for dinner (in town for work for a couple of days).  He is staying on the East Side, so I asked a couple of friends for places (bit more upmarket), and I specifically asked for "not craphole" places.  Some of the boys responded with... places on Shaker Square.  Sigh.  I was amused.  Anyways, I selected Cooper's Hawk -- never been, heard from others it was nice -- and it was...ok?  Good not great?  My friend didn't like the wine (I told him it was wine, that was the problem); I had chicken giardinera and it was...good.  My friend liked the pasta, but thought it was heavy.  But it was nice to hang out and chill for a bit.  Of course, I got home late-ish and went to bed, which explains my AM blogging.

I finished book 8 yesterday:  Ghost on the Throne, which looks at how the world of Alexander the Great unsorted itself after his death -- lots of war, killing off relatives, that sort of thing.  Interesting, of course, how everything quickly fell apart.  Not exactly surprising, and while I felt Eumenes deserved a better fate -- for a decade he was the quintessential survivor -- it was a good read.  I think I am ahead, if you will, though at the cost of neglecting other things (Games magazine, and I have yet to make the next recipe I planned).

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/23574178/diabetes-insulin-pen-injection-cost-california

I think this is a good idea; not for any selfish reason, but... the whole idea of Banting was that insulin -- having been developed at such cost, with such delays, and literally being a lifesaver for people -- should be readily available at modest cost, and the drug companies have --` legally, mind you! -- promptly gone and shit upon that.  Not cool, and thus we have the right to go and make that dream a reality.  Like it or not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home