Wednesday, March 01, 2023

The Turd in the Punchbowl

March already....hard to believe.  And the weather is...quite good; unseasonably warm.  Some day we will have real winter, and no one will know how to handle it...

I had another medical appointment today -- this time with a new dermatologist to see about this nagging eczema I have.  I would not say that I was optimistic, but at least the doctor has a willingness to try new things, which is something new.  One thing that did amuse me was her review of my test results -- according to her, everything was quite normal, and she remarked that -- even with the diabetes -- I was remarkably healthy (another reason the nagging quality of the eczema was mysterious).  I didn't want to tell her that I certainly didn't feel that way, but maybe it is true.  I suspect most of my issues are caused by things I could control (or at least try to), like lack of sleep and the gallon of caffeine I daily consume.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/florida-republicans-bill-ban-state-democratic-party-rcna72917

This literally made me pee my pants when I first read it, and I am still chuckling now.  But, he does have a point; if we are going to start canceling people and things, this is as good a place to start as any.

Today I had yet another meeting about the cut in SNAP benefits... being me, of course, I had to ask the following question:  Given that a good deal of the inflation that is harming the poor is caused by excessive government spending, and a further share of this inflation is caused by the fact that people are not returning to the workplace (thus driving up wages but also prices)... is not the responsible thing to cut SNAP benefits?  As you can imagine, that went over...fairly well.  Now, to be sure, while I am for cutting them (what part of "temporary" don't you understand), I am not sure a precipitous drop is the best -- a gradual plunge, if you will, might have been ideal.  On the other hand... I have noticed in my long association with food pantry that very few of our clients are starving (or even look like it), that they have plenty of cash for booze and smokes (legal and otherwise), and they certainly make it to other food pantries.  Also, 90% of these people voted for the administration that brought us this mess, so... you get what you deserve.  Plus, there is not a lack of food pantries and other resources out there (for now); I counted in one adjoining zip code 24 places to get food.  Now, if every place gives out a three-day supply of food, that gives you... well, a client could get a 72-day supply of food (some of them, of course, look like it).  Which seems...excessive.

I guess my point is that we should leery of the doom and gloom projections; yes, the reduction is severe, but there are more than enough opportunities out for people to find alternatives (such as getting a job), and at some point... I do not think it is the government's job to feed every man, woman, and child in this country, especially when there are plenty of people who are actually doing what they need to make it without the public dole.  Oi.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home