Sunday, April 16, 2023

Return to Youth

 Yesterday I decided to cross off a place sort-of but not really on my list; Hough Bakeries, or, Archie's Hough Bakeries -- the recreation of the original store out in Beachwood.  Now, I remember the original; there was one where TJ Maxx is in the plaza by my house, and I seem to recall how wonderful it was; all kinds of baked goods, sort of like a Malley's store for bakery.  I guess I was expecting the same, and thus was... underimpressed by it now?  The site is small, and they really don't have a lot on display -- some white cupcakes, cookies, coconut bars, and doughnuts.  That's it.  They are also quite insistent on a mask, which, in this day and age, does not make one feel welcome.  I some cookies and two cupcakes for myself, a half-dozen for my sister, and that was that... and I was pleased to escape the East Side.

That said, the bakery was...quite good?  The cookies were good (especially the next day) and the cupcakes were pretty awesome.  Normally I eat the bottom then the top, but I found that the white frosting -- delicious on its own -- is quite magical with the cupcake itself.  Would I go back?  Maybe... it is far (not far far) and expensive (what isn't) and if I did I would probably order something custom (and thus available).  I also felt badly as this was a place Mom would have loved, unlike the usual Asian/fusion/chilled monkey brains places I prefer.  Oh well.

The tooth problem has magically solved itself, as the cap popped off while eating pineapple yesterday evening.  They told me to avoid crunchy and sticky, so I can only imagine what they will tell me next.  Oi.  To be sure, I had to go back anyways, but... my mouth, at least, hurts the least in weeks, since I went there for that silly periodontal treatment.  It could have happened Friday night, when my office chair broke -- one of the screws popped off the left armrest, it fell over, and now -- while I fixed it -- I cannot lean all the way back (I have tried twice, with comic, for now, effects).  I do not think I will replace it -- I am cheap, you know -- but that could change.  Probably when I actually fall over...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home