Tuesday, June 27, 2023

A Day of Achievement, I Think

Funny; today was fairly busy, even though it didn't seen like I did anything.  Woke up and the first thing I handled were a bunch of emails from unemployment.  I am quite sure that 90% of what they asked for was answered by me in the first round of application, but, well, I have nothing else to do, so I answered everything again.  I tried to add my resume to the state jobs database.  It seems to be the only one that does not allow for an autofill, and, even worse, once I had finished everything... I got an error message saying that it couldn't upload my data.  Oi.  

Anyways, there was no time to waste, as by then it was time to head back to the dentist to reattach the semi-permanent cap, which as we remember fell off on my birthday.  (I couldn't help but think that a few weeks ago turning 45 and losing a fake tooth were the worst things that could happen to me...those were the days.)  It went as swimmingly as things usually do... for one, I arrived early for my 11 appointment, and they didn't take me until...almost noon.  I thought about leaving, but 1) I wanted it done and 2) God knows when I would get another one.  Plus, I finished my book (37), so... Anyways, once they did see me, they were of course surprised that it fell off, and told me it was my fault, as I didn't have any crown lengthening done when I had the root canal.  I pointed out that it may be true, but...a five-year seal shouldn't fall apart in a month.  They did re-attach the thing (for now) and so far so good.  I made an Aldi run, and a Marc's run (the principle of shopping in low-tax Summit County) and then home, where I caught up with all of the emails and such that happened while I was out of the house.  I think I nodded off in the chair, too.  Alas.  But at 5:30 I noted that I had finally gotten through the stuff that popped up today.  Oi.  Now, of course, previously neglected matters!

One thing I did tonight was to live-listen to a Zoom meeting by National SVDP about attracting and retaining new members.  Normally (these things to be on in the evening, when I am hitting the gym and during J!) I listen to these things during the workday, but as that is not an option right now, we went to plan B, so I Tivo'd J! and listened live.  And... I am glad I did!  I tend to zone in and out during these things, but because I could give it my full attention, I learned a bit more than usual, and even picked up some ideas for the East District and the OC...not really sure if they will take them to heart, but...

Conservatives Shouldn't Support Expanding Federal Power | National Review
I don't know; I largely agree with this, but there is something to be said that if and when something or someone gets out of hand, it is the job of the government to smack them down, if you will.  I don't necessarily think of this as a liberal or conservative thing; it can be applied equally to the left or the right.  Now, I think he is right that liberals will eventually go crazy with it, but the solution for conservatives, is, of course -- if and when we are in charge -- to strip away those mechanisms of government that allow it to happen in the first place.

Opinion | Why I’m Not a Liberal Catholic - The New York Times (nytimes.com)
Interesting, as always, and I think....quite correct.  Course, I would say you could remove the "Catholic" from the piece and the answer would be the same.

Anti-abortion activists refocus work, fight to sway public to their side (msn.com)
Interesting.  I think this whole state-by-state thing can work, in part, at least; I mean, there are states where it will never take hold, but there are plenty of states (say, flyover country) where GOPers and people of faith can put together a winning coalition to severely restrict, if not outright ban, this abhorrent practice.  To be sure, we need to do more to promote life, but, as I like to say, anyone who thinks that the Church does not do this already is simply incredibly ignorant of the facts.  Given that most of the people who say this are liberals...well, we can simply elide "of the facts" from the previous sentence and it works just as well.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home