Sunday, July 30, 2023

Dragging

 Busy weekend -- lots of stuff to do -- and I woke up before 6 today as I could not sleep.  This has been most depressing, as I have been feeling it the rest of the day, or at least the afternoon.  I have been going through the email box, handling minor stuff, but... some of the big-ticket items I have just looked at and said "let me refresh my batteries."  I am on the fourth cup of coffee, and while I would not say it is not helping, it is more treading water.  I nodded off a couple of times a bit ago, and I have been tempted to just go to bed, but the last thing I want to do is wake up at 5:30 or something, so I am at least going through the motions of the proper sleep schedule.  Oi.  I mean, this sleep issue has been an issue since the layoff, and while I have tried to get better at being less stressed and being regular about rest... it is not good.

July 2023 - Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists (thebulletin.org)
This was quite interesting!  I have always been a science nerd at heart, despite my lack of detailed knowledge there, but these were quite informative and cool to read.

Republicans hoover up earmarks in House spending bills - Roll Call
This could be me, but this is bad in many ways.  Mainly, of course, is the idea that the GOP should adopt this process -- we are for less government and government spending, I thought -- and the other thing is that this is all the sort of corruption and swampiness that people in the GOP -- even those not exactly seen as terribly Republican -- complain about.  I can see how in this closely held House McCarthy would allow this, but... they should be few and far between, if nothing else.

Opinion | What Ron DeSantis Misjudged About the 2024 Race - POLITICO
There certainly has been a plethora of these things in the news recently, and... I fear they are largely true?  I don't know; I would argue he might have a chance in Iowa, given his efforts to build a campaign there.  Absent a Trump, I think he would be the overwhelming favorite, which makes it odd that he is struggling so mightily now.  I realize Trump has a lot of popularity, but... DeSantis has a record of successful conservative stuff to broadcast as well; indeed, I would argue his base of support is derived from that.  As someone who is concerned about the Trump effect on the general... I would like it if Ron can get it turned around, even moreso if the press thinks he cannot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home