Friday, July 21, 2023

Oppenheimer

 You will note that I did not blog yesterday.  This is due to the fact that I went with some friends to see "Oppenheimer," the new Christopher Nolan film about Robert Oppenheimer.  I will admit it was a bit bittersweet; as you know, last year, I went to Los Alamos -- the town literally built by Oppenheimer to build the bomb, and it was sort of sad to see all of the places in the film that I saw (hell, I even hit his house).  Of course, that is in the past... as for the film, it was...good.  I do NOT think it needed to be three hours (especially as we hit the 9:30 showing), and some of the scenes could have been easily culled.  That is a minor quibble; the rest is quite good (and now I have to read the book).  I do think it is a good picture of the man -- his brilliance, his ambivalence about the bomb, his tortured personal and political life.  I am not we can even know why acted as he did, why he didn't recant some of his earlier political affiliations, or how he came to his feelings, but... it was worth it.

Continuing the film thing, today I watched "Endurance," the documentary about the Shackleton exhibition to the Antarctic, and his miraculous escape/rescue of his campaign.  No, I had not seen it before, and it was...quite engrossing.  Hard to believe they ALL survived; it is remarkable, given what they endured and how long they were in those conditions.  

Today was a good day; I went to Community Corner again today (they were short-handed, I have time) and helped out there; sadly, not very busy, but I took more notes and shared horror stories/leadership notes with the staff.  Then I crossed the river and went to the OC to apply cement to some of the floor gaps to control the rodent issue.  Now, I will admit that I will NOT be applying for masonry jobs, but... well, we have a lot of retired blue-collar types as volunteers, and they never filled the holes, so I went and did it today.  I will admit it is not very aesthetic, but the holes are filled.  I mentioned that they should -- if we uncover more -- NOT put the pallets by them and I can go and fill them again, but I suspect that will NOT happen.

Yesterday I had a couple of interviews, and today I scheduled some second interviews, which boosted my morale (as you can imagine).  I mean, I will keep looking and applying, but... this is progress, one hopes.  

I don't know what is worse:  The easy answer for Final Jeopardy tonight, or the fact that only one person got it correct...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home