Saturday, July 15, 2023

Bemusement

 Food pantry duty today, and while it was not the zoo of last week, we ended up with 131.  I would say it was steady busy -- no real breaks, only a few times was the line long, but for 95% of the day we had traffic.  Lots of walkers, too; I think a three-quarter house has opened in the neighborhood, and they are coming as well.  This was fine, but... as I noted before, we really didn't have a lot of extras to give people -- mainly bread and bags of nuts, with limited produce and other items, and the meat supply was -- enough but not profligate.  (I will note again that people got TWICE what they would get at our other pantries.)

Anyways, by 11 we were out of produce, and it was down to canned goods, meat, and one bread item.  And, of course, people were....antsy.  They asked if we had stuff, and I would answer with such gems as "the operative word is 'had'," "we are not a grocery store," "people who were here at 8 when we opened got the pitifully small amount we received," and "our deliveries were small and this is all we got."  All of which was true, but.... you would think we were giving them one can of dented cream corn, or something.  I realize these people are Hope and Changers (indeed, they are Hope and Changers upon Hope and Changers) and this beats working (it does not, I can assure you!), but... then, of course, there are the people who assume that we get our stuff for free, which of course brings out "the only people getting free shit around are... you."  This is sometimes over their heads, and sometimes brings out wonder; I mean, I guess if you get SNAP and healthcare for free, you assume that everything else is free, or should be.  I mean, I cannot help but laugh but it is also very tedious, and if nothing else, makes me a better Republican, and thus a better human being.

Ron DeSantis Delivers Strong Performance in Tucker Carlson Interview, Throws Shade at Newsom – RedState
I had some of these on last night, and will try to get the rest done tomorrow... I think it is good DeSantis showed up, and while he may have gotten fawning favorite coverage, he hit many of them out of the park,, and if that helps with the non-Evangelical voter in Iowa, so much the better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home