Thursday, July 06, 2023

Ado About Nothing Much

 Long day, though it is one of those things where I am not exactly sure what I did.  Ok, I hit the gym hard, caught up on some food pantry paperwork and other administrative details, applied for jobs (up to 178, with rejections to 24), took the rubbish and the recycling out (hilariously, they finally took the garbage can I wanted them to take, even though they have ignored it the last six times I asked them to), and even got some reading done.  I should switch books, as the ones I ordered from the library are due next week, and for some reason one cannot renew them.  Odd.  I still might, as one of the smaller ones I could polish off, I think.  I can always re-order them, or order others and order them again later, but it is... most annoying.

My stomach remains unsettled, which IS a problem.  I know stomach bugs take a few days to pass -- moreso for diabetics -- but with all else that is going on (or not!) in my life now, I need this like a hole in my head.  I am still not sure what actually caused it, and I have been monitoring my diet to see if anything affects it (not really).  To be sure, I am on a cup of coffee now, and that seems to have no effects, so all is not lost yet.

The West Again Learns That War Needs Industry - WSJ
This could be me, but I doubt we ever forgot it, just that we never really thought it would be needed again (and not in the Ukraine; remember how everyone thought the Russians would just march in?).  Oops.  On the other hand, it is good to discover this now, and I would think there is enough bipartisanship somewhere for everyone to get together and try to solve this problem.   One issue, of course, is that creating this reserve of manufacturing capital means exactly that; building and expanding (and staffing) plants, outfitting them with sufficient technology to produce, and then, of course, either using or storing up what they make.  This is, let's face it, incredibly expensive, especially now and with all the debt we have.  But I do not think we can afford not to...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home