Thursday, June 29, 2023

A new beginning

I would not say that I slept much better yesterday, but...at least I didn't get up three times in the night to toss and turn, which counts as progress, I guess.  

Only one job application today, but I did a couple of skill assessments and that sort of thing, so.... we will be at it again tomorrow in force.  Today I tried to clear up the detritus of the last career -- final prescriptions, reimbursements, that sort of thing.  I also decided -- to get out of the house -- to help out at the food pantry with the Thursday deliveries and food rescues.  Now, we are closed this weekend, so there was no large delivery -- just a couple of pickups from local stores (frozen meat, bread, miscellaneous stuff), weighing them, and putting them away.  It was mentioned that I hadn't really ordered anything from the GCFB, or knew how to input the food rescues to the GCFB website, so right after lunch, I and a couple of other volunteers met and our operations manager showed us what to do.  I think I have a good handle, but it is the sort of thing mastered by doing, so... I will undertake that duty (part-time) over the next few weeks.  In the meantime, we will have a large order next week -- and pickups -- so I will probably go back then and do my fair share.  It is a good workout, to say the least.

I was more than a little fascinated by the reaction to the SCOTUS ruling.  Mainly...for all the talk about how it will destroy diversity, people and schools were already discussing ways around it, such as by requiring essays and considering "other factors."  While I suspect the decision will allow white and Asian students to engage in more lawsuits (especially as part of document dumps, or, God forbid, someone is on tape), at the end of the day I don't think a lot of people will be affected.  And, for all the jokes (even I have made them) about Roberts and his RINOism, he did have a most impressive majority opinion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home