Thursday, July 27, 2023

I am Obviously NOT a Hope and Changer

 I don't know; today was... good?  Started off with the new "job" of helping with the Thursday pickups for the OC.  I went to the Aldi outlet at Tiedeman -- not much, actually, just bread -- but when I arrived at the home base, everyone was just standing around.  Being Matt, I immediately put the crew to work unloading the boxes, weighing it, and filling out the forms.  As the delivery truck from the GCFB was late, I volunteered to do the pickups -- and we had an extra one today, as the SV Sav-A-Lot had macaroni and cheese for us.  There was not much at the Aldi on Kinsman, but when we arrived at Sav-A-Lot... there was an entire pallet of mac and cheese.  Eighty-nine boxes, each with 24 boxes of mac and cheese -- 935 pounds total, all slightly out of date, so they can be given out ASAP (I would have put them in with the main groceries, but it wasn't  my call)... it was funny; just when we had finished loading them into my truck (and it was completely full), our operations manager called me and the first thing she said was "you do answer your phone;" I had missed her calls asking where I was...  Needless to say, my answer was not exactly as charitable as it could have been.

Then it was home for lunch, a quick shower, change into a suit, and my third second interview of the week.  It did not last as long as some of the others -- FWIW -- but I think it went well enough.  As I like to say, with all of these torpedoes in the water, one can only hope some of them (or even one!) hit.  Not that I am being overconfident, but I have a phone screen and a first interview tomorrow, too.  Yes, my sister and others think I am insane -- and maybe I am -- but I believe (fully) in covering every possible base.

After finishing some more food pantry paperwork, I then went about the task of finding some health insurance.  Now, as we all know, my healthcare costs doubled due to Obamacare, so I was looking forward to making some of this back on a plan.  Ha!  Even the basic plans cost twice as much as I am paying now (or was), and of course all of these plans have rather large deductibles.  Now, the nice healthcare agent explained to me that there are non-ACA plans that do not allow for pre-existing conditions, but are much cheaper (for premiums), but that the advantage was in the Obamacare plan.  Now, if I was a Hope and Changer, I would believe that, but as I am not, I can do math (I did it twice!) and I would need 20 months of prescriptions and MD visits before I would actually see savings due to the ACA plan.  So the plan is to buy el cheapo insurance and pay out of pocket.  I have often said that I wished I could Louisville Slugger any Obamacare supporter one time for every dollar it cost me (to say nothing of the $2500 in savings he promised), but now, after this seven minutes of calculations... well, I think they should be beaten like Sherrod Brown's first wife, at the very least.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home