Wednesday, August 02, 2023

Bemusement

 I finished Astroball yesterday (43 for the year), and it was...vastly amusing, in an ironic way.  The first third of the book was about the rise of their front office -- a lot of them came up from the Cardinals, where they tried to quantify drafting success and how to get more of their picks on to the roster.  Simply put, while Pujols was a great pick and a find... in most cases, the Cards drafted guys and they never panned out.  They turned that around -- heck, in one year, they drafted three starters, a starting pitcher, and a closer.  Then the book shifted to how they turned around the Astros.  Now, I don't doubt that they used data more efficiently and effectively and had an excellent of drafting the right players, but... as we know now, it is ALL tainted by Trashcangate.  Hence the irony.

Today I completed my tour of the West Side food pantries by hitting our site at St. Patrick's on Bridge in Ohio City.  As with others, downtown runs this one (not an Ozanam Center, with parishes contributing) so they give out much less food than we do.  Unlike the other sites, this one was fairly busy (only open once a week) and everyone got prepacked bags (one of canned goods, one of rando stuff) and ONE meat item (you could choose, but only one).  Our clients would shit their pants about the small amount, alas.  It was funny; a couple of them noted I was new and tried to scam me for extras, and as I told the volunteers, this was NOT my first time at A food pantry, and I shot them down.  They are Hope and Changers, of course, there, so... I was hardly surprised, and, being me, immensely amused.  I took copious notes and probably should write some reports to the Board.  

I read the indictment of the Donald and it was...quite comprehensive.  Will it change anything?  I doubt it.  This, of course, worries me, because I suspect the 2024 electorate is not the 2016 one, and more people will be appalled than fascinated.  Especially in the swing states, and THAT should be a real concern.  I guess this is one of those times where the party could step in and smack this down, but -- and let's face it -- the man has the support of half the party, so... we all have to ride the tiger.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home